Tuesday, March 18, 2008

WIPED OUT!

I feel utterly and completely wiped out! Mentally, physically, emotionally, almost spiritually. I'm just gonna lay it out on the line right now. I'm not turning my blog into "confessional", but there's just a lot goin on.
Yesterday I attended a funeral for a 2 month old baby boy. He died from SIDS last Thursday. His mom & 3 siblings go to my church. I hadn't met him yet cuz they hadn't been back since he's been born. He was wrapped up in a blanket, with a beanie, laid in a woven basket. He was so cute, just like his older sisters & brother. His name was Harrison Scott. What can you say to a greiving mother? I asked her if I could come visit her Thursday to pray with her. That's all I know how to do in a situation like this. I'm not a very good cook, and I'm not very eloquant with words, but I can pray. No parent should ever have to experience that. Thank God she does have a strong faith in the Father, because that's the only thing (I think) that's getting her through this tough time. I'm sitting here crying just thinking about it... a young, innocent life, with so much potential, so much hope... gone, so quickly. The only comfort is that we know he's in heaven, and as Robin, our Pastor said so kind and lovingly, we know he's resting in the loving arms of Jesus. I just can't stop thinking about it. I've certainly been holding, hugging, touching, and kissing my own kids more often.

My husband has (technically) been unemployed since August. We were alright until Christmas, then our tax return bailed us out, and now, we're in the red, rackin' up debt, getting further and further behind. It is so frustrating to see him suffer from depression for 3 months, and then come out of it, and be doing ok, but not go back to work. Excuses, distractions, fear, more excuses, on and on. I've offered to find a full-time job and let him stay home and run the house, but that's no good.

Do you know how fast 3 kids can make a mess? I set out with a specific mission of cleaning up my house really well, I guess a "spring-cleaning" mission, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't win.

So, I'm having a hard time, feeling very frustrated, low, tired, worn out, unappreciated, like I'm just floating along, trying to make it through the end of the day, just so I can go to bed. Bedtime is the highlight of my day. That's pitiful.

Then I think about a gift I've been given. A gift that I first openly recieved one night in October, 1998. No matter how bad I think things are, for me, or the people around me, Jesus had it much, much worse. and he knew how bad it was gonna be, before he did it, but he did it anyway because he had a purpose. He loves me, and he loves you, and he loves Wilma & Harrison & Tony, and he was beaten and bruised and hung on a cross and died for me and you because he loves us all that much. He did it for us because he wants to be with us for all of eternity. This life is so quick, so minor, so insignificant in so many ways, but the gift of life with Jesus is eternal. That's all that matters.

So, chin up, keep on goin, it'll get better. Love your loved ones (and even the unlovely ones) and don't ever be scared to tell someone that God is getting me through this day.
If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

((( B I G H U G S )))
I feel you, can totally empathize, and am praying for you. Thanks for being so gutsy here :) It really is encouraging to us!

I am so so so sorry to hear about the loss of this baby. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be praying for the family as well. What a tragic situation!

Steph said...

Oh Shannon... thanks for sharing! That was a beautiful post. It's hard to be so honest with everyone, even though most of us go through very similar things. It's always an emotionally (almost physically) wrenching time when a baby passes on but we didn't lose them... we know exactly where they are! It doesn't make the human emotions any easier to deal with. I think praying and crying with that mother is ministry enough... I don't think there's much to be said to another believer. She just needs for people to acknowledge how real the pain is. The Bible tells us not to grieve as those without hope but it doesn't say don't grieve! She'll grieve in some form or fashion until the day she breathes her last. But God will comfort and sustain her.

And I'm so sorry for all you're going through at home. I know it's tough and I will pray for your family. Let us know if you need anything or if you ever want to take a break and come see us. I can't give you any tips at all for keeping your house clean. Ours looks like it is inhabited by the three little pigs, maybe even after the wolf has blown the walls down! This too shall pass...

Thanks for your awesome testimony!

Anonymous said...

HI, Shannon. I have to tell you. I love the patience you show with your kids. I don't think I've ever seen you get upset or irritated with them. I'm not saying I don't think you ever do, but you always show so much patience and love toward them. I know, too, kind of about the husband thing. My husband does work- like a dog most of the time- but he's not a believer. It's hard to train your children if your husband doesn't.

Thanks for your candor here. You never know who around you is suffering with what problems. I'm WAY in the red too. Cash advances off credit cards to pay bills every month. But keep the faith. God has a purpose for it all.