Sunday, January 27, 2008

Firstborn

When I was pregnant with my first child, I thought I could eat everything I wanted to. So I did. And it showed. He was born in July, amist sweltering heat, so ice cream everyday was a must. My pre-pregnancy weight was 135. When I was admitted into the hospital, I weighed 218! YIKES! is right.
Everything went well during the pregnancy, except my dr did repeatedly tell me to slow down the weight-gain. I was due on Friday, July 9th. That afternoon, I went walking up & down the street at my "other-mother's" house, and that didn't work. Needless to say, I was miserably fat & SWOL. Went to bed that night, disappointed that nothing had happened, woke up at 4am, yes, of course, to pee, and realized that my water had broke. I whispered to my husband, "honey, I think my water broke...should we go to the hospital?" He said, "well, are you in labor?" I said, "no, I don't think so, but, aren't we supposed to go to the hospital?" All I could remember hearing in parenting class was, "Don't come to the hospital before your contractions are 5 minutes apart!" and "If your water breaks, don't take a bath!" So I walked back to my 'rents room (very long story about a crazy landlord) and whispered to my Mom, "Mom?" she answered in a low voice, "Yeah?" I said, "I think my water just broke" she answered in a loud voice, "Let's go!" She was up and dressed in the blink of an eye. I got dressed, got my hubby up, headed to the hospital, and was admitted right away.
It was slow goings from there. They gave me 12 hours to go into labor on my own, and when that didn't happen, they started me on pitocin. When that kicked in, around midnight, I got my epidural, then around 6am I was ready to push. I didn't go through the cliche pushing scene of yelling and screaming and blaming my husband and stuff, I just breathed & pushed. It was going fine until the dr said, "He's stuck at the shoulders, I can't get him out." Um, what? He's stuck? Get him out! Get him out! So they laid me down flat and just pulled as hard as they could, I guess. Pretty traumatic for the little fella. Dr Korey said, "We've got a line-backer! Where's he gonna play?" My husband & I answered in unison, "Bama!" then he was cleaned off & laid on my chest.
A few minutes later, we found out that he weighed 10 pounds, 1 ounce. Then a little while after that, we found out that he broke his collar bone during delivery. He recovered quickly from that and was a great baby. The nurses put his portable crib next to a little 5-pounder, and let me tell you, that was a funny sight.
He was a good baby and grew up to be a good kid. I was in for a real shock when I thought my second son would be just like him. Maybe another post, though.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm glad "Bama" was one of the first words he heard :)

I love the term "SWOL." So Southern! LOL

Shannon said...

Yeah, remember the "Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man"? That was me...I had to take off my wedding ring and everything. I wasn't perty.

I was actually watching part 2 of the eulogy on your page when you commented on mine. How powerful. He's definitely challenged us all to a higher level.

Steph said...

I want to comment more but Plumberboy is bugging me about getting off the computer so it will have to wait until he's at work tomorrow. :) But man, I do have two words... TEN POUNDS?!?!?

Shannon said...

LOL, yeah, 10.1! At 38 or 39 weeks the ultrasound measured him at 9 lbs, give or take a pound either way. I was still very surprised. Still, kinda hoping he was 25 or 30 just so I wouldn't get stuck with it! I lost almost all of it in 10 months by the time I got pregnant with #2-thanks be to breast feeding! Jon was 8.15, Kay was 9.7.