Thursday, January 31, 2008

Vicariously you shall live!

Our new puupy is great....but....couldn't he have come potty-trained? and WHY can't my 3 yo understand that if you squeeze his neck or pull his tail or put your fingers in front of his mouth, that he WILL BITE?!?! What is his obsession with tearing up, ripping or shredding paper products? He doesn't dig outside in the dirt, but he tries to dig a hole in the bed before he lays down. What's up with that?







Our new puppy is great! We love him already, and like I said previously, he's spoiled rotten. He loves to sleep in my lap when I'm in the lazy boy watching football (or anything on TV, I guess) and he prefers to be under the covers in the bed at night. First time he did that it freaked me out. He finds a fold in the comforter, sticks his long nose in it, and heads down the bed, to around knee-level. When he runs through the living room, it sounds like he weighs 50 pounds, hence the name suggestion from my 'other-mother' of Thumper. Then when he runs through the kitchen, we hear his little claw-taps. He is great. The first paragraph is just new-puppy-frustrations that I'm sure everyone faces. Truth is, we all are very grateful to finally have a dog.
My hubby grew up with lots of dogs throughout his adolescent years, I think about a dozen, several of which were named Blackie. I got a kitty on the first day of kindergarten, Samantha, who passed my senior year, and I got a cocker-spaniel, Charlie, in 2nd grade who passed when I was, like 22.
After our oldest was born, we found out when he was about 10 months old, that he is allergic to peanut butter (scary story for another time). Then when he was about 18 months old, we thought we found out he was allergic to cats & dogs. Later on, by process of elimination, we now know he's very allergic to cats, but not dogs. So, for about 3 years now, we've been talking about getting a dog, but then we had Kaylee, so after she turned 2 we kept saying that after she was potty-trained we'd get a puppy (to potty train).
I thought I'd found the perfect puppy back in June when my BF told me about a friend of hers at church that got a mini-pin mix from the pound, got her home, and found out she was pregnant from a pug. I thought that would make a pretty cute mix. I anxiously told my husband about them, but he wasn't interested. When the puppies were ready to go home, I thought if the one I liked came over for a spend-the-night-trial, Tony would fall in love with it, and let us keep it. Now, I don't usually use the word 'wise' to describe my husband, but in hindsight, it is very appropriate for this situation. We had the puppy over at our house for about 2 hours, it was very sweet, pooped outside, slept in it's box, played a little bit, presented itself as a good little puppy. But my husband kept telling me it wasn't the right puppy for us, we weren't ready yet, we would find something better when we took our time to look, etc. And, yes, I'm gonna say it, he was...right (write that one down, honey!). I made a puppy-mention again before Christmas, and I was very surprised to hear, "Yeah, I was thinking about it too, I think we're ready now."
~Sidenote here~ Thank you, thank you, thank you for autosave!! I was this far when my computer fraze & had to be restarted! You'd be getting a much shorter version of the story if this draft hadn't been saved!~
Anyway, we looked in the bulletin board, found a breeder in Troy, and it happened to be the day of our anniversary when we went to get him. We're joking about filling out his CKC registration papers with the proper name of Melchizedek Methuselah Oswald, puppy name Buddy. Nah...
I hear heavy rain outside! Praise the Lord! Lake Martin's only 4 feet away from normal now, so bring it on!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Cute, cute puppy! Sorry it has taken me so long to read all about him. I don't think I'll ever get the dog I'm dreaming of so until then I'll have to read about yours.

Yes, I think you are just dealing with routine puppy stuff. It is so hard to housebreak a puppy, especially a boy puppy but it's totally worth the work in the long run (or so I've heard!) The one thing that revolutionized our lives was putting our dogs in a crate at night. They both slept in the bed with us for about 5 years but now they've been in the crate for about 3 years. The actually seem to enjoy having their own little place. Plus, one of our dogs slept under the covers at our feet and the other one slept on one of our pillows every night. Cute and endearing for about a year then very, very annoying. Anyway, congrats on the pup!

Steph said...

PS-- Really cute pic of you too!